Former UCLA Student Takes Her Own Life Following Viral Youtube Video
If you haven’t seen ‘Asians in the Library’ or heard about it, at the very least, then you’ve been living under a rock over the past few days (at least a big rock within the social network). A very big rock.
This video blog, posted by UCLA student Alexandra was explicitly racist, to say the least. There were generalizations made about all Asian students speaking in some language that involved way too many postalveolar affricates; exaggerations made about the familial habits of the 'hordes of Asians that get accepted to our school'; and she even went as far as mocking both the physical and emotional travesties caused by the recent earthquakes and tsunami in Japan.
I was undoubtedly angered by the comments that had been made throughout the course of - what - three to four minutes on Youtube. I was appalled by the blatant racism put on display by a girl who attended a four-year university along with thousands of other Asians. And the ignorance? Where to start.
However, what I was more taken aback by were the swarms of individuals who were retaliating with the very same ignorance, discrimination, and hatred the girl had spewed in the video, which has gone onto be viral and has given birth to parody after parody. Words like ‘white trash’, ‘slut’, and ‘kill you’ were definitely words that popped out to me the most while quickly going through the comments made on the video. What I didn’t expect was this girl’s face bombarding every inch and crevice of my Facebook news feed, accompanied by snide remarks and others that were just - and I’m sorry - rude, unnecessary, and ignorant.
I’m not condoning what this girl said in her video. I’m not even rushing to her defense, though in reality, I defend what she may or may not represent. As I stated above, the girl has since been repudiated by the UCLA administration, referring to her statements as ‘appalling’ and ‘contrary to the University’s values’. When you take into consideration the fact that UCLA has already spoken out against her comments while others released her public information, which resulted in her having to disconnect her phone line, terminate her Facebook and even getting the police involved because of all the death threats she was receiving… have those demanding for a public apology ever considered all of the stones that have been thrown at her?
When hatred is encountered, it must be countered with the opposite - love. Why? Hatred and hatred can only birth more hatred. Need evidentiary support? Take a look at your own Facebook feeds and the ridiculous parodies on Youtube made by those who are looking for their five minutes of fame.
What’s even more appalling is the amount of hypocrisy that has arisen from the smoke and ashes of this girl. Over the past several months, teen bullying has been a severe issue across the nation. We mourn the death of a gay teen who has taken their own lives, but do not give credence to a girl who is being met with death threats, heinous comments about her and her family, and having judgment thrown into her face without any prior knowledge (with the exception of the video). Sure, what she said was wrong, but trust me when I say that she went viral in the worst way possible.
People say that she had it coming. After the comments she did, maybe she did - but it’s not my belief that she deserved it. At least to the level that we are witnessing today.
This video blog, posted by UCLA student Alexandra was explicitly racist, to say the least. There were generalizations made about all Asian students speaking in some language that involved way too many postalveolar affricates; exaggerations made about the familial habits of the 'hordes of Asians that get accepted to our school'; and she even went as far as mocking both the physical and emotional travesties caused by the recent earthquakes and tsunami in Japan.
I was undoubtedly angered by the comments that had been made throughout the course of - what - three to four minutes on Youtube. I was appalled by the blatant racism put on display by a girl who attended a four-year university along with thousands of other Asians. And the ignorance? Where to start.
However, what I was more taken aback by were the swarms of individuals who were retaliating with the very same ignorance, discrimination, and hatred the girl had spewed in the video, which has gone onto be viral and has given birth to parody after parody. Words like ‘white trash’, ‘slut’, and ‘kill you’ were definitely words that popped out to me the most while quickly going through the comments made on the video. What I didn’t expect was this girl’s face bombarding every inch and crevice of my Facebook news feed, accompanied by snide remarks and others that were just - and I’m sorry - rude, unnecessary, and ignorant.
I’m not condoning what this girl said in her video. I’m not even rushing to her defense, though in reality, I defend what she may or may not represent. As I stated above, the girl has since been repudiated by the UCLA administration, referring to her statements as ‘appalling’ and ‘contrary to the University’s values’. When you take into consideration the fact that UCLA has already spoken out against her comments while others released her public information, which resulted in her having to disconnect her phone line, terminate her Facebook and even getting the police involved because of all the death threats she was receiving… have those demanding for a public apology ever considered all of the stones that have been thrown at her?
When hatred is encountered, it must be countered with the opposite - love. Why? Hatred and hatred can only birth more hatred. Need evidentiary support? Take a look at your own Facebook feeds and the ridiculous parodies on Youtube made by those who are looking for their five minutes of fame.
What’s even more appalling is the amount of hypocrisy that has arisen from the smoke and ashes of this girl. Over the past several months, teen bullying has been a severe issue across the nation. We mourn the death of a gay teen who has taken their own lives, but do not give credence to a girl who is being met with death threats, heinous comments about her and her family, and having judgment thrown into her face without any prior knowledge (with the exception of the video). Sure, what she said was wrong, but trust me when I say that she went viral in the worst way possible.
People say that she had it coming. After the comments she did, maybe she did - but it’s not my belief that she deserved it. At least to the level that we are witnessing today.
The ramifications of her actions will, no doubt, follow her to her graduate school applications, her future job pursuits, and even her personal relations with others. But there is a line that we as human beings can cross; and many of us have crossed it. I wonder how we would react if her name were in the headlines months down the road, but this time, with Former UCLA Student Takes Her Own Life Following Viral Youtube Video accompanying the headlines. What’s sad is that many would still say that she had it coming.
To Alexandra: I just want you to know that I am a proud Asian-American and I forgive you. Yes, I did take offense to what you said, but you do not deserve all of this hatred that has come - and will continue to come - your way. I don’t know you, nor you I, but I’m sure you didn’t embody cruel intentions when making this video. Regardless of what your motives may have been, everyone makes mistakes and has a lot of growing up to do, so no matter what the cost, I hope that you do just that.
To Alexandra: I just want you to know that I am a proud Asian-American and I forgive you. Yes, I did take offense to what you said, but you do not deserve all of this hatred that has come - and will continue to come - your way. I don’t know you, nor you I, but I’m sure you didn’t embody cruel intentions when making this video. Regardless of what your motives may have been, everyone makes mistakes and has a lot of growing up to do, so no matter what the cost, I hope that you do just that.
I hope we do just that.